Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Body Piercing

My 15 year old daughter wants to pierce her belly button, but I think she is way too young. I mean my god she's only 15. However she won't take no for an answer and thinks I'm overreacting. I don't know what to do to help her understand that I'm only looking out for her best interest. I can't help but to think of all the things that could go wrong such as infection or even worst, she could contract some awful disease.

I remember letting her get a second ears piercing when she was 12, big mistake. It did not heal properly so we had to let it close. Plus my little sister got her belly button pierced when she was 16 and it did not work for her either. She no longer has it. You would think my daughter has learned from that. Instead she constantly begs me to allow her to get one.

The worst part is I think she'll try and sneak and get one without my permission. How do I know? She already tried. She texted me by mistake one day thinking she was sending the message to her best friend. The message read, "d0 uu thiink dhat iif uu was t0 ask ya m0m t0 take me t0 get myy bellyy butt0n piierced becuz my m0m t0 busy 0r sumthiin she w0uld take me??" I am writing word for word what I read on my blackberry. I guess this is some sort of texting ebonics. I was livid to say the least. She's the type of person that would do something and then say I'll suffer the consequences later.

I need you help. Do you think I'm overreacting? Am I being over protective? I love my daughter and want the best for her just as all parents. Is it self-expression or too much for a 15yr old?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a few years before I'll encounter this issue (my daughter is almost 7), but I am already stressing about these very things. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I feel the same as you on the matter of belly button piercings. I have already learned the incredible challenge of trying to talk sense to children.

Jen
http://www.ListPlanIt.com

Anonymous said...

Don't let her do it! She'll regret it later

 
Search Engine Optimization - AddMe